What we came up with was Boise Hackers:
A gathering of entrepreneurs and hackers who meet-up and work together on their software products/projects/startups.
Talking, learning and meeting are good, but doing is better. Boise Hackers is about getting things done: Experiment. Iterate. Learn. Do cool stuff. Launch.
Boise Hackers is for anyone who:
- is working on a software startup/project/product with a goal of turning it into a sustainable business
- wants to develop their software development skills in a largely self-directed manner, but with the support and camaraderie of others in the community.
- wants to help strengthen our community by providing mentoring and guidance to hackers and entrepreneurs.
- wants to get stuff done
- A laptop
- Something to hack on
A coffee shop or similar. Once we get some traction we will find a bigger space.
- Public to create visibility & a sense of "hacker culture" downtown.
- Somewhere with beer wouldn’t hurt.
- Good internet access & power strip availability
- A variety of seating/table options, from small to conference table size
This week (Tomorrow) is our 3rd meeting at Dawson Taylor on 8th St 5ish to 9ish. Feel free to drop in, or at least swing by towards the end and join us for a beer. For more information send me an email/tweet or follow @boisehackers on twitter.
So what do you think? Is this something you would be interested in? If not in Boise, is there anything like this in your community? (If so any suggestions?, what works what doesn’t?)