It’s true. I’m a Sublime Text addict. It’s by far my favorite development tool. End of story!

Just to illustrate, earlier this week, a member of our development team asked how to quickly remove all empty lines from a very large text file. I quickly came up with the following:

1. Press CTRL-F.
  2. Enable regular expressions (the button entirely in the bottom-left corner).
  3. Search for ^\s*$
  4. Press ALT-ENTER (click on the “Find all” button).
  5. Hit the backspace button.
  6. Done!
  7. Be merry …
    Don’t just take my word for it. Just start using it!
Previous post

How do I undo a bad rebase in Git?

Next post

DefinitelyTyped TypeScript definitions now on NuGet

10 Comments

1. February 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm

+1. This is my default editor outside of VS coding.

2. February 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm

In Vim:
    :g/^s*$/d

3. February 22, 2013 at 5:04 pm

You obviously need to try Vim, then.

4. February 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I’ve recently switched to ST2 and love it. However, there are a couple deficiencies that prevent me from rolling it out to the entire office. (~20 users)

1) There’s no (apparent) option to automatically lock files that are open in ST forcing subsequent users to open read-only.

2) Files that change on disk while open in the editor are automatically loaded. It would be nice if this was configurable, providing ignore and prompt options as well.

3) When files are automatically reloaded the current cursor position is reset, long files are scrolled back to the top.

Having said that, Sublime Text seems to be the answer to a lot of other problems I’ve been fighting in TextPad, Notepad++ and Notepad2. I look forward to ST3!

• February 23, 2013 at 2:48 am

ST3 is already in the works:

If you express these concerns on the forum, they might end being picked up.

• February 23, 2013 at 2:58 am

Problems 1 and 2 are problems caused by working from a shared drive. Word, Excel etc provide file locking as a fudge, but a decent Version Control System would solve these problems elegantly (and allow better collaboration)
      Problem 3 would also vanish because files wouldn’t be changed from underneath you.

5. February 25, 2013 at 6:25 am

Ever heard of WebStorm or any of the other IDE´s provided by jetbrains? (no file editor can ever beat a truly intelligent IDE)

• February 26, 2013 at 12:57 am

I use WebStorm for debugging Node.js apps. After that I head back to SublimeText as quickly as possible.

• February 27, 2013 at 8:11 am

But how do you handle refactoring in large javascript projects? Doing it manually does not feel so nice… Choosing not to refactor something that’s obviously in need of refactoring because you’re scared that your code might crash does also not feel so nice.

• February 27, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I do refactor … a lot actually. The multi-cursor feature helps me quite a lot. I do not have the feeling that I’m missing out, especially when it comes to JavaScript code.