p&p Guidance as Actual Books
Some of the best reading I do comes from the patterns and practices group at Microsoft. Their prescriptive guidance documents are actually books, and I don?t know that everyone realizes that.
It isn?t just p&p that publishes guidance, either. The product teams publish good stuff, too.
I used to get real p&p books as swag at conferences and events, but I haven?t seen one in print for awhile. That?s why I decided to use FedEx (Kinkos) to do this with the latest Application Architecture Guide 2.0 CTP. $38.00, signed, sealed and delivered.
I know there are a lot of Kindlistas out there, but for my money there is just something about a touch and feel book. I couldn?t come up with a great way to read a PDF in bed, either.
Although I don?t think $38 is a bad deal, it isn?t exactly a bargain, either. The old p&p books could be had for less than $20.
So, while I can?t print the CodePlex library, here are the titles I would if I could:
- Smart Client Architecture and Design Guide ? Still pretty relevant
- BI Architecture and Design Guide
- Team Development with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
- TFS 2008 Branching Guide 2.0
- Upcoming: Acceptance Testing Engineering Guidance – This guide will cover the discipline of acceptance testing from several perspectives and contexts. It will provide models, heuristics and a set of actionable job aides rooted in a sample application.
But if you are poor like me, you can live with most of it online and get it easier with the Guidance Browser.